Blinds vs. Shutters – Which Should You Choose?
With so many window covering products available on the market, it is easy to find yourself confused and indecisive. One tough decision that our customers often face is whether to go with wood or faux wood blinds OR spend a little extra money on shutters. My hope is to make this decision somewhat easier by breaking down the pros and cons of each product.
Pros and Cons of Faux Wood or Wood Blinds
- Cost effective – easy replacement
- Plenty of color options – even in faux wood
- Easy operation to lift and tilt
- Easy to raise to reach window
- Fast lead time
- Basic or standard look
- Not room darkening
- No value added to home
- Less insulation than a shutter=less energy efficiency
- Boring curb appeal
- Large stack when raised up
- Cords hang on ground when raised
- Half the life expectancy of a shutter
Pros and Cons of Shutters
- Heavy duty – high life expectancy
- Clean look – no cords/strings
- Energy efficient
- Great view-through capability
- Room Darkening
- Easy to clean
- Add value to the home
- Specialty shapes available
- The best ‘curb appeal’
- Fixed in window- no raising or lowering
- Can be hard to open panels to adjust windows
- Center tilt rod staples become loose with improper use
- Not as budget friendly
- Limited colors in faux wood or composite shutters
- Can be a longer lead time.
After reviewing the pros and cons of both faux/wood blinds and shutters, it is easy to see that each product has many great qualities. It really just boils down to your personal priorities and preferences. I personally believe that shutters are a better investment for a number of the reasons. However, if shutters fall out of your budget OR if you don’t feel your current home to be your “forever home,” then perhaps faux/wood blinds would be the way to go.
Please contact Made in the Shade of San Antonio today if you have any questions or would like to schedule a FREE in-home consultation to go over either of these products. We look forward to servicing you!!!